The employees at our Kolkata office are proud to mark the one-year anniversary of their partnership with Hope Kolkata Foundation. For the last year, our employees have been working primarily with the Ashar Alo (A Light of Hope) safe house program.
The Ashar Alo program works with girls between the ages of 13 and 18 who have been orphaned, abused, abandoned or trafficked. The program supports the girls to become more independent and successful in the following ways:
- Education, including vocational training
- Sports, arts, and cultural activities, including dance, martial arts, and drawing
We contributed Rs 6.1 million this year towards:
- Health and hygiene
- Education and training
- Costs of running the safe house
In addition, employees have participated in activities with the girls, including a movie night to mark International Women’s Day. The girls enjoyed the movie, gifts, instant photos, food, and drinks. They received books for their house library; it was wonderful to see their lovely faces light up with joy.
The Kolkata office plans to continue its support of the Hope Kolkata Foundation this coming year in the following ways:
- Contribute Rs. 8.4 million
- Set up eye-screening camps for the Childhood Blindness Eradication Project in various Kolkata slums, schools, and mining areas
- Partner in setting up a full-fledged Eye OT, with all medical equipment and supplies
- Partner in providing seating arrangements, toilets, and pure drinking water for schools working with learning-disabled children
The Kolkata office and its employees are fully committed to social responsibility in India and the partnership with Hope Kolkata Foundation is the cornerstone of this commitment.